Proposals for a pier were publicised in 1867 and construction began in 1868. It opened on 25th March 1869 having cost £10,000. It was enlarged in the early 1870s at a cost of £5,000.The 912 foot structure included a large pier-head, ideal for the steamers that called until 1914. In 1897/8, a pavilion was added but it was destroyed by fire on 31st July 1933 and a new, 2000-seat pavilion/ballroom was built in 1935/6 at a cost of £25,000. Other facilities included open-air roller-skating, the Marine cafe and motorboat cruises around the bay.
The pier closed at Easter 1986 after decking collapsed at the seaward end. A fire on 4th February 1987 damaged the amusement arcade at the shoreward end and, in November 1989, the owners were instructed by the Council to either upgrade or demolish the structure. The pier was sold in January 1990 and repair work began. However, in March 1991, a Council report effectively condemned the pier.
The ballroom was destroyed by fire on Easter Sunday 1991 and demolition began in March 1992.