Aysgarth Railway Station
Aysgarth railway station is a disused railway station in North Yorkshire, England, near Aysgarth Falls. It was part of the Hawes Branch of the North Eastern Railway from its opening in 1878 until closure in April 1954.
The Wensleydale Railway Association aims to rebuild the railway from Northallerton (from its current western terminus at Redmire) to Garsdale and plans to re-open the station.
Opened by the North Eastern Railway in 1878, it became part of the London and North Eastern Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The line then passed to the North Eastern Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. It was closed by the British Transport Commission in April 1954, although goods traffic continued until the Redmire to Hawes section closed to all traffic in 1964.
Aysgarth site today
The track has been lifted through the station site. The station site has now been sold on into private hands after The Wensleydale Railway stated that it was costing too much to keep on their books. The nearest track on the line runs from Redmire eastward, providing rail access for military traffic to local training areas. The Wensleydale Railway is a heritage line which operates from Redmire to Leeming Bar and Northallerton West.