Victoria Place, Newport, South Wales, UK
Victoria Place was built in 1840s and is an Edwardian/Victorian built Grade II listed buildings and was constructed around 1844 by a Newport builder Mr James Rennie, taking approximately 3 years to complete.
Victoria Place is in walking distance of the heart of Newport City centre with many shops and precincts. It is only 5 minutes walk from Newport Train Station, when the buildings was completed the 12 houses had raised front steps to the front door with ¾ columns, the first floor windows had moulded architraves with cornices brackets. The balconies had iron work panels which when added all together created very prominent features.
The original houses had a ground floor with one reception room, a small drawing room and a prominent stairs from the front door.
The lower floor (basement) was the kitchen and work area, the coal cellar which is where the services are now.
The first floor was the family lounge and dining area, the second floor was bedrooms and bathroom. The attic had (in some houses), two servant’s rooms, and in several of the houses, the old lath and mortar still exists as do the outlines of the servants rooms.
Victoria Place has been used for several film productions including House of Elliott and Carries War, the benefits of choosing Victoria Place is that it is located in centre of Newport with excellent road links as the M4 motorway is only 5 minutes away making access very easy.
The road is only at both ends, making it easy the close the road while filming and there are several Hotels and B&B’s within the area.