Llanwern Steelworks, Newport, Wales, UK
Llanwern Steelworks (formerly the Spencer Works) is located in Llanwern, east of the City of Newport, South Wales. Built by Richard Thomas & Baldwin Ltd, the works was originally referred to locally as “The RTB”, before being called Spencer Works and later Llanwern.
It was the first oxygen-blown integrated steelworks in Britain when it opened in 1962. Steel-making making at the site ceased in 2001 with the loss of 1300 jobs, and the ‘heavy end’ of the works was demolished in 2004. While the site no longer manufactures steel, Corus’ remaining operations at Llanwern include a hot strip mill, a cold strip mill, and a hot dip galvanising line processing 2 million tonnes of steel coil for automotive, construction and general engineering applications. In January 2009, Corus announced that it was mothballing the hot strip mill, with the loss of over 500 jobs, as of 2010 the site is still open.
A £115m renewal project led by St Modwen Properties PLC is currently transforming the former steel-producing part of the Llanwern steelworks site. The masterplan envisages 1.5m sq ft of employment-generating accommodation hosting 6,000 jobs, 4,000 new dwellings, community facilities and open space including 3 new lakes. Full completion is anticipated by 2026-8.