Royal Pier Hotel, Clevedon, UK
The Royal Pier Hotel is a Grade II listed building in Clevedon, England.
The Royal Pier Hotel, originally known as the Rock House, was built in 1823 by Thomas Hollyman. In 1868, the building was expanded by local architect Hans Price and renamed Rock House & Royal Pier Hotel, subsequently shortened to Royal Pier Hotel. Since its closure in October 2001, the building has fallen into disrepair. In the same year, huge public uproar saved the hotel from demolition. In May 2003, one end of the hotel was ruined in a fire, and despite numerous planning applications to turn the building into flats, it remains derelict.
In 2009 local town councilor David Shopland unsuccessfully called for the hotel’s Grade II listed status to be removed, to make planning applications easier and the site more attractive to developers.
The hotel is situated on the cliffs of Clevedon’s seafront, adjacent to Clevedon Pier.