Abbey Foregate Railway Station (Shrewsbury)
Abbey Foregate railway station was in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, south-east of Shrewsbury station, to the east of Severn Bridge Junction, on what is today the Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton Line. Despite its name, the nearest road was Underdale Road, not Abbey Foregate.
Opened by the Shrewsbury and Birmingham Railway in 1849, the station name was changed to Abbey Foregate Platform around 1900. Becoming part of the Great Western Railway, it closed to passengers in 1912.
Today there remains a signal box on the line to Wolverhampton called Abbey Foregate (code of ‘AF’). It controls the junction and the access to Abbey Foregate Yard. No remains of the platform exist.