Albany Cottage Hospital is the heritage site of a former hospital in Albany, Western Australia. The site is also named the Vancouver Arts Centre Group for its later use as a community arts centre.
The buildings and grounds are situated on Vancouver Street, Albany, on a site that overlooks the Princess Royal Harbour. The main building is constructed from local limestone, with a roof of split Jarrah shingles. The hospital was completed in 1897, from the 1886 design of George Temple-Poole, and continued to operate until 1962.
This work by Poole was the first of his many public buildings in the state, and a significant departure in architectural style for the Public Works Department. The design followed a contemporary movement of architects, such as Edwin Lutyens, that drew influence from the English cottage. The work is identified as Federation Arts and Crafts, and as an “aesthetically exceptional example” of the architect”s work. Other nineteenth century buildings on the site, such as the former nurses quarters, morgue, and carpenters workshop, are regarded as significant as an intact hospital complex. It is the oldest remaining hospital of the historic township. The views of the harbour make this a significant landmark.